Just One Spark…
Last June, we learned just how quickly a spark can turn into a catastrophic event when the Bearing Fire raged across East Texas. For HCEC members, the problem was too close for comfort when the fire threatened to cross into HCEC’s service area.
As the drought continues across our fair state, it is important for all Texans to remain cautious and mindful of any fire hazards.
If you see any downed lines or sparking on electric equipment, report it immediately. HCEC takes this very seriously regardless of the weather conditions. It is a normal safety issue that we address throughout the year, but we are on high alert when drought conditions are present.
Also, we ask that everyone in our area be mindful of small hazards around their homes and in their vehicles. Be sure that lit cigarettes, barbecues, or any other open flames are completely put out before being left unattended. Combustibles should be stored responsibly – always follow the manufacturer’s label when storing and using these materials. Make sure your automobile is in proper working order and that there are no sparks flying or other potential fire hazards prior to operating the vehicle.Keep cords out of your path or work area. Throw the cord over your shoulder.
Put a Ground-Fault Circuit Intertupter between your electrical power source and your electric products. GFCI's prevent the flow of power when they sense there is a problem. They are a good investment for your bathroom outlets.
Replace missing or broken wall plates, and make sure they're protected by child safety covers if there are little ones in the house.
Never nail or staple cords to walls or baseboards to keep them out of the way. If you puncture the cord, it could overheat and catch fire.
Never use an extension cord as a permanent plug. Extension cords are not sturdy enough for prolonged use.
The third pin on the plug of an appliance is a grounding pin. Never cut it off to fit into a two-prong outlet.
Check your lighbulb wattage. Placing a bulb with a higher than recommended wattage into a lamp could catch the lamp on fire.
Last Modified: August 10, 2011
HCEC, PO Box 52 - Loop 304 SE, Crockett, TX 75835, 1-800-657-2445
Powered by MDMCMS v1.5 ©2009 Electsolve | Majicko CMS v1.5.0 ©2007-2009 Bandwise LLC